- Why SOAP?
- Jonah Tan
- Gene Mebalo
- Alice Tan
- Xutchel Tacata
- Janette Bejarin
- Joe Wee
- David Gan
- Silas Tan
- Jing Mateo
We have found journaling to be an excellent way to help members feed themselves spiritually. Writing out our devotion in a journal helps to both record and process what God has spoken to us. Through sharing our journal, we look deeper into what God is speaking, gain new insight and even encourage others.
One simple way to journal is using the “S.O.A.P.” method, made popular by Pastor Wayne Cordeiro through his book “The Divine Mentor”:
S for Scripture
Open your Bible to the allocated chapter in the Bible reading plan. Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that particularly spoke to you that day, and write it in your journal.
O for Observation
What do you think God is saying to you in this scripture? Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you and reveal Jesus to you. Paraphrase and write this scripture down in your own words, in your journal.
A for Application
Personalize what you have read, by asking yourself how it applies to your life right now. Perhaps it is instruction, encouragement, revelation of a new promise, or corrections for a particular area of your life. Write how this scripture can apply to you today.
P for Prayer
This can be as simple as asking God to help you use this scripture, or it may be a greater insight on what He may be revealing to you. Remember, prayer is a two way conversation, so be sure to listen to what God has to say! Now, write it out.
To get you familiar with doing S.O.A.P., we have added members' journals which were presented at the recent church services for your reading pleasure.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. - Ephesians 4:32
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done. - Proverbs 19:17
• Pay Forward – Receiver of the good deed repaying it to others instead of to the original benefactor
• Bukit Batik Auntie
• Leadership Training: Your team following you makes you a leader.
• Buy that tissue paper from the lady / man at the hawker stall when they offer you one.
• Ask if they have breakfast/lunch/dinner. And ask them whether you can get them something to eat or drink.
• You cannot do kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. - (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
God, thank you for being such a good father and looking after all your children without favouritism. Thank you for giving some in excess of their needs so they can share their wealth with the needy people. I will continue to pray that Doris & I and all our siblings will be able to care for our parents and they are taken care of until they will meet you. One day. Amen.
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- 2 Corinthians 5:21
God had sacrificed his son Jesus Christ that we may be saved Jesus took own the sin of the world that we may be saved.
We have to be Righteous in God and not sin against him as Jesus was nailed onto the cross for us so that we would be pure.
Dear Jesus, I pray that You may help us to be able to be righteous in the name of Jesus I ask and I pray Amen.
God Is With You
He provided redemption for his people he ordained his covenant forever holy and awesome is his name. ”- Psalms 111:9
• God has never abandoned you or left you alone
• God loves and cares for you, He remembers everybody
• That is why he sent redemption to all of us on Earth
• Life can be difficult with many challenges and obstacles along your way
• No matter how bad things are, remember that God is beside you, and he cares for you.
• Trust in God
Dear God, today I pray for wisdom in mind. I pray that I will always remember that you are by my side and that you have a plan for me. I will trust you in the rest of my days, in Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the safe path. Don’t get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil. - Proverbs 4:25-27
Goals gives us direction. They serve as reminders of what is really important to us and help to keep us on track.
I asked God for 2018 what is his plan and purpose for me to thrive spiritually, physically, mentally etc.
Here are 3 simple goals
- eat well
- think well
- rest well
Lord, help me in the area of discipline to achieve the above goals that I have resolved to do. Amen
And she made a vow, saying, “O Lord Almighty, if you will only look upon your servant’s misery and remember me, and not forget your servant but give her a son, then I will give him to the Lord for all the days of his life, and no razor will ever be used on his head.” - 1 Samuel 1:11
• A humble but depressed servant, crying out to God for emotional support.
• An intimate relationship with the Lord with a bargain type of prayer; “if” (her request) and “then I will” (her promise).
• Willing to give God forever, her only child, whom she longs for, knowing He will definitely take care of her child.
Greatly encouraged to keep to my words, just like what Hannah did in v27-28. Her reward: from a mother of 0 to a mother of 6.(1 Samuel 2:21)
Help me Lord, to fulfil whatever vows I made, just because You’re a covenant keeper. In Jesus’ name, I ask and pray. Amen.
God is My Deliverer
• (NIV) - “I loathe my very life; therefore I will give free rein to my complaint and speak out in the bitterness of my soul.
• (Message) - “I can’t stand my life—I hate it! I’m putting it all out on the table, all the bitterness of my life—I’m holding back nothing.”
- Job 10:1
• Bitterness starts out small, can be etched in my heart and if not dealt with, it will keep replaying in my mind, more anger and resentment until it seeps in and ultimately devours the spiritual soul.
• Guilt and sins also lead to unforgiveness that will affect both mental and physical health and ultimately deteriorate the spiritual soul.
Trust God and never give up
1) Know who God is – The Almighty and powerful, bring the situation before the throne room of God. Remembering His promises that He can turn all situations around for good. His grace is more than sufficient for me. God can empower us to forgive these who have hurt me.
2) Psalms 41 - He is my deliverer and will deliver me in this time of trouble. - He will protect and preserve my life. - He will sustain and restore me.
3) God has given you trusted and beloved friends. Seek out their wise counsel.
Thank You God for You are my deliverer. You have delivered me, sustained me and by Your mercy and grace I am set free. Your love has never departed or abandoned me when I am in need and You always hide me close to You under the shadow of Your wings. I thank God for You have sent friends to care and pray alongside me. Thank God I am saved by Grace and restored. And I always love You. Thank You Jesus, Thank You LORD.
Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit in me. - Psalm 51:10
The word “renew” conjures up the promise of a fresh start. In this context, it also carries within it a sense of permanent renewal. David did not want God to renew him for a passing moment or a day only. He wanted a steady spirit of commitment for the rest of his life. David prayed that the Holy Spirit would not be removed from his heart.
Like David, I need to constantly seek God’s face, conscious of my needs of a daily cleansing from sin and a renewal of his power to continue.
Dear Lord, I commit all my weaknesses and worries. Create in me a clean heart and renew a loyal spirit in me. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.
But blessed is the one who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes, its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit. - Jeremiah 17: 7-8
When we trust the Lord, He provides all we need. He expects us to trust him always; that kind of trust takes time - like a tree sending out its roots so that we are well-positioned to rely on Him, drink from His waters during tough times.
Whenever I’m worried about anything, I must remove the worry and trust Him. Even though when situation seems hopeless but we have hope in the Lord. We must cling on to Him and his promises. He wants nothing but the best for all of us.
Dear Lord, we put our trust and hope on You. Lord cause us to be a tree planted by the waters, bringing nutrients into our life. Let us continue to be fruitful in your kingdom. In Jesus name, I pray Amen.
The Most Beautiful Thing
”So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.For what is seen is temporary, and what is unseen is eternal.” - 2 Corinthians 4:18
Worldly things are mostly beautiful and amazing to our eyes. But these are only temporary and they won’t last long. Our eyes are the windows of our heart and soul, so beware of the devil’s irresistible temptations to fall us to his trap. Fix our eyes on Jesus for He is the source of everything that is good and beautiful and is forever lasting.
I need to focus my eyes on the Lord, for the most beautiful things come to my life through Him. He satisfies my deepest longings and makes me complete in Jesus Christ.
Dear Lord, help me to keep my eyes focused on you, so that I won’t be seduced by what is seen and temporary but on what is unseen and eternal. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.
The God Of Hope
1) In you, Lord my God, I put my trust
2) I trust in you ;Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3) No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause.
4) Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths.
5) Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
- Psalm 25:1-5
God is my hope. He is my guide and my protector!
I strongly and truly believe that God is in control of everything. He is watching over me, even when I am in deep trouble. He strengthen me and direct my path straight.
Heavenly father, thank you so much for saving my life. Teaching me put my trust and hope in You. Help me that I may always obey your commands, in Jesus name, Amen.
Guard Your Heart
“Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” - Proverbs 4:23
• “Above all else”- Suggest as being important and of utmost priority. An instruction not to be taken lightly.
• “Guard your heart”- Suggest an intentional and deliberate effort is needed for us to stay vigilant and safeguard what we allow or disallow into our hearts.
• “Everything you do flows from it” - Our action begins way before the act. It begins with the conditions of our hearts.
• We need to constantly guard against what we allow into our hearts. This include what we watch, what we hear and what we think.
• If we guard our hearts well, our actions will overflow from within, leading us to do the right thing.
Lord, help us to constantly watch over our hearts. Let us not be deceived by what the world has to offer, but instead stay guarded over what we watch, what we hear and how we think. It’s only with a right condition of our heart will we be able to speak and act in a manner that will glorify your name. Amen!
Keeping My Eyes On Jesus
”Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it. Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear. But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.” “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.” “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?” - Matthew 14:22-31
• Peter having overcome his fears of Jesus, decided to walk on the water too. He was wise enough to wait until Jesus told him it was all right to try. Then he clambered over the side of his boat to go to him.
• God As soon as we get over our fear of the supernatural by recognizing and acknowledging God’s lordship over everything in heaven and on earth, we will want to experience that power for ourselves. I believe Jesus could do extraordinary things. Not only could he heal sick people, he could keep his temper, be unselfish, and always say the right thing.
• Can I do what Jesus did? Can I stride over the circumstances of my life in triumph? Can I walk over the waters of worries and fears? Yes, if I keep my eyes on Him.
• Peter unfortunately forgot who was keeping him afloat and started to look at the reasons he should be sinking. As soon as we do that, we are sunk!
• It is a matter of keeping our eyes on Jesus, not on the storm. If we begin to sink, we can cry out to him. He will put out his hand and save us. It’s important to him that we continue on in faith and succeed in the task to which He has called us.
Lord, I thank you for putting out your hand when I am about to sink. Help me that I will always keep my eyes on you and not on the storms that come my way. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.
A Harvest Of Generosity
“For God is the one who gives seed to the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will give you many opportunities to do good, and he will produce a great harvest of generosity in you.” - 2 Corinthians 9:10 (NIV)
God himself is the source and supply of every blessing we have, including the material ones. We are not to keep what we are given for ourselves alone but rather we are to use our resources wisely so that a “harvest of generosity“ will be produced from which we can bless others.
• Giving is not only an act of worship itself but also results in worship. Those who benefit from our giving “will break out in thanksgiving to God”.
• Worship is giving God the best that He has given you. Be careful what you do with the best you have. Whenever you get a blessing from God, give it back to Him as a love gift.
• Take time to meditate before God and offer the blessings back to him in a deliberate act of worship.
Lord, too often I view my giving of offerings as an obligation rather than an act of love. Help me to glorify you through giving generously out of a thankful heart. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.
Let Your Yes be YES, And Your No Be NO
“Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. - Matthew 5:33-37
I realize that in this times that we’re living in, knowledge is all around, you’re able to source through the internet to learn many things. Sometimes it’s so much that at times we as Christian’s begin to compromise on God’s standard. We learn to live in between the “Yes” and “No”…
• Did God really say, you must not eat from any tree in the garden?
• Engineer vs Salesman
In God’s standard, there is no “Maybe”. It’s either a yes or no. God has place something in our Spirit to differentiate between what is Right and what is wrong. So don’t compromise!
Dear God, will you grant us the knowledge and wisdom to live our lives. Give us wisdom not of this world but from you. So that we’ll be able to be a good difference that people will look up to us because we do not compromise on the “Yes” and the “No” of God’s standard. Amen.
Patience in Suffering
As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy. - James 5:11
The first line in the King James Version is written as “Behold, we count them happy which endure. ” This is the core message of this verse which tells us that we are blessed whenever we persevere against hardship. It might feel like we are alone in our struggles, but here is states that God is compassionate and merciful, and hence we are never truly facing our struggles alone. All we need to do is persevere and God will aid us in overcoming our hardships.
To persevere is one thing, but to consider ourselves blessed whilst enduring hardship is another. With God’s help, I will try to remain optimistic even in unfavourable or uncomfortable situations. It is important that I not grumble whenever I face hardships but instead be patient as God will reward my perseverance as he did Job’s.
Dear God, I pray that you give me strength to endure the hardships in life to come. Help me smile in the face of adversity, for those who persevere are blessed. Help me remember that you are compassionate and merciful and that I am never alone in facing my struggles. In Jesus’ name I pray Amen.
Praise the Lord
Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord. - Psalm 117
• Shortest of all the psalms
• It encourages everyone to praise the Lord because “great is his love toward us”
• He will continue to love us as “the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever”
• How has the Lord shown His love toward us today, this week, this month, and this year?
• His love is seen in the ordinary, everyday circumstances of our lives!
• We will continue to have many things to praise and thank God for in the coming days.
Dear Lord, Thank you for loving us unconditionally, our Heavenly Father. May praising and thanking God for everything characterise our lives. Amen.
Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child
• Proverbs 29:15 - A rod and a reprimand impart wisdom, but a child left undisciplined disgraces its mother.
• Proverbs 29:17 - Discipline your children, and they will give you peace; they will bring you the delights you desire.
Loving our children is natural and an instinct to man. Even animals love their youngs by providing their food and protection. But sometimes, we parents commit the mistake of over loving and over protecting them. We succumb to the whims and demands of our kids without even bothering to monitor how they behave in school and in the neighbourhood. Quarrel of the kids sometimes become a quarrel of the adults.
Discipline a child while he is still young. And most importantly, they have to be inculcated with Christian values especially the love of God and love of others.
Lord Almighty father, thank you for loving us by reminding us to be a good steward. Help us to become a mirror of discipline to our children in order for them to grow and to be a better person in the community and in your kingdom. In Jesus name, Amen.
Then she (Delilah) called, “Samson, the Philistines are upon you!”He awoke from his sleep and thought, “I’ll go out as before and shake myself free.” But he did not know that the Lord had left him. Then the Philistines seized him, gouged out his eyes and took him down to Gaza. Binding him with bronze shackles, they set him to grinding grain in the prison. - Judges 16:20-21 (NIV)
1) Samson led Israel for 20 years.
2) He a Nazirite dedicate to God but did not follow through.
3) He is living a presumptuous faith and did not know God has left him.
1) Guard and nurture our faith
2) Hear from God and develop sensitivity to His voice, practise living in His presence
3) Live a life that is pleasing to Him
God grant me the patience to hear from you daily in the midst of my busyness. Let me developed the spiritual discipline to reflect from your Word with my life and avoid any presumptuous faith. Amen
But when the holy spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law. - Galatians 5 : 22-23
This tells us the evidence of the holy spirit’s working in us. “Our sinful nature loves to do evil” (Galatians 5:17, NLT) and it can easily be fed with wrong food such as what we see on TV, what we read and what we think about.
Even after we become believers, we still have that sinful nature and it declares war on the Holy Spirit. The reason for this conflict of interests between the old and new nature inside a christian is that the old nature wants to go on sinful and selfish, while the new nature of Christ, imparted by the Holy Spirit, wants to be just like Christ. The Holy Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from the sinful-nature desires.
Christ urges me not to give in to the selfish, insistent voice that tells me to shut my ears to the Spirit’s prompting and do my own thing. He urges me to heed His whisper and obey His Word. The prompter at a play stands in the wings, eyes fastened to the script. If the actor stumbles, the prompter is quick to prompt so that the actor can do and say the right thing at the right time. I need to listen to my prompter, Christ himself.
Lord help me to keep in step with the Holy Spirit. Only with his help can I live the holy life that you want me to live. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.